Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Anglican Mission Smorgasbord

Well, I finally jumped in. A bit late to the discussion, but after all, my blog is mostly dedicated to the musings of a Worship Leader working at a church. I have no clout or influence, but I do have an opinion and it is usually spiced with sarcasm so I figured I should weigh in. Many people have asked me if I would blog about the recent developments in the Anglican Mission. I didn't think I would until I couldn't stand the stuff I have been reading and decided to add to the smorgasbord of opinions.
I like the word smorgasbord. If I had some of those crazy fonts I could insert the proper characters in place of our "o" and "a" but since I don't...try to imagine I used them and now it is a Swedish word for buffet. Everyone loves Swedish stuff. Who doesn't like the Swedish Chef? Smorgasbord. The word is usually associated with food but we also use it as a description for something that has a large variety. Not just a large variety, but also when you think smorgasbord, you think of all things good. I'm not sure what you call a large variety of bad things, other than trash, but that really isn't important here.
So after reading all the articles on AMiA, I have determined that there is no simple summary so I will take a shot at it. By the way, "summary" means I left out a bunch of details. My blog; my prerogative on which details I leave out. The Anglican Mission in America (AMiA) is an organization of churches Chuck Murphy created when he left the Episcopal Church. In order to be an official Anglican organization recognized in the world by other Anglicans, he needed an endorsement from a genuine Anglican province. Rwanda and Asia stepped in to fill that role and now Chuck is Bishop Murphy. What they didn't tell us (or at least what I didn't get)....apparently this organization is not part of the province of Rwanda, as I had thought. It is a business venture of Bishop Murphy. So when Bishop Murphy breaks ties with Rwanda and leaves, so does the Anglican Mission. And that is what has happened. Bishop Murphy has cut our relationship with the Province of Rwanda.
Editor's note here...I really don't know what happened to cause this and I certainly am not taking sides.
This is where it gets complicated. Our church is an AMiA church, but our priests were received as official missionary priests in the province of Rwanda. So it would seem our church is under the authority of Bishop Murphy, but our priests are under the authority of Rwanda, but not Bishop Murphy. What? Exactly.
As someone who works at a church, this is kind of like a buy-out, but I'm not sure who is buying what. As far as I know, I will still be paid every week by New Covenant Church. Where will we go for the special meetings? That is what all the important people will figure out. I'm okay to let them do it. I have a Christmas service to plan and many visitors to share wonderful music with. Why are there so many other people involved in speculating what is going to happen in church politics? I'm not sure, but I am sure every minute they are doing that is one minute less they are doing ministry of the church.
Smorgasbord. A variety of good things. Maybe there are bad things to eat, but we try to eat the good stuff. If we get something bad, we usually recognize it as bad and don't eat the whole thing. We leave it for waste. Then when we return to the buffet, we choose only the things that were good. God made us like that. We have the ability to choose the good from the bad. Sure we can be tricked, but we are fast learners. It didn't work out so well for Adam and Eve, but God expects that. And He still has our back. Christmas will still come. What will you do to tell the Christmas story this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment