Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Travel Mercies

I realize that I made no blog post in July. Sorry about that. It is because I left to visit Africa for most of the month. I now have many great posts in the cue, so expect August to be a busy month.  So lets get right to it!
I don't know where the term travel mercies came from, but it is one of my favorite Christian phrases. Let's pray for "travel mercies".  It is so very generic, and yet it sounds like a good idea.  I just returned from a missions trip to Africa.  The plane ride and layover travel time combined is about 36 hours.  I have traveled many times before and I have a few travel peeves to pray for in my "mercies" request.  I will address any potential travel companions who might read this blog post.  First of all, I really don't want to switch my aisle seat for a middle seat.  Speaking of seats, if you are asked to put your seat up to accommodate the meal time, it is not for your comfort. It is for the person behind you who doesn't want your head in their face as they try to eat. So when you finish your meal you may not put the seat back until I am done. Thank you. If you are sitting next to me at the window, when I get up to use the bathroom this is a good time for you to go as well. Sorry about my mean face when I sit back down and then you decide to go. If you are sitting next to me and have long legs, sorry about that, but the boundary for my seat space extends all the way to the floor so get your legs and feet out of my space and back under your seat.  The arm rest is fair game for battle. As soon as you reach for your book or tray table I will put my arm on the arm rest. I won't move it when you pretend to rub accidentally against my arm, but I will try that trick on you.  If you bring a bratwurst sandwich onboard to eat later, pack it in a ziplock bag please.
When the plane arrives we should always applaud, even in the U.S. because it is quite a performance to land this huge piece of metal with 240 people and their stuff safely.  You are not saving any time by standing up to get your stuff early.  We all have to wait to get off the airplane anyway.  I will pretend I don't see you trying to squeeze by me to get off the plane before everyone else waiting.  And I can't hear your repeatedly saying "excuse me".  Now that I have said my part, please leave a comment telling me YOUR travel peeve. I pray for comment mercies.

2 comments:

  1. Ditto, and Amen! I about went nutzo one time on an overnight trip back from Alaska. About an hour before landing, the crew served coffee and muffins that were in little crinkly plastic bags.All at the same time 200+ people were opening the bags. Instead of just doing it, they were all trying to "quietly open them" so the noise wouldn't bother anyone. Well, instead of all the crinkly noise, which was driving me crazy, ending in a few seconds, it went on for like 5 minutes. I thought I was going to get up and kill someone. OPEN THE DARN BAG FAST AND GET THE STUPID THING OUT and then STOP IT!!! Thank-you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, how 'bout some paragraphs, man??

    Travel pet peeves:
    -kicking my seat...especially if it wakes me up!
    -reading my magazine/iPad/laptop/book over my shoulder or from the seat next door
    -getting to my seat and the overhead bins are all full but my row is empty. How the heck did it fill up with stuff when there's no passengers!?
    -Having to throw away a coke or water bottle before going through security
    -people who haven't been through security who acted so surprised that they have to take off their belts and sweatshirts
    -when taxi drivers make you take the first cab; this is America - I'd like to choose please!

    ReplyDelete