Monday, January 28, 2013

Don't Just Sit There!

Well it's been quite a while since I have taken to the keyboard to type. Many months have passed, and many things have happened. I always keep notes, so I still have plenty to write about. I'm a bit behind, but will catch up soon enough.  I was "coaxed" back into writing at today's service at church by the words of a friend.
Since my last blog, I opened a restaurant named Salamanders. It is going well and I have enough stories to write a parallel blog called working at a restaurant... but not yet. I still work at a church. The very same one, New Covenant. Now I work part time for the church, but still lead music on Sundays for two services.
Today was the follow-up to a women's conference held at our church. I am reminded of other such conferences in years past with many good stories, but that isn't what this blog is about. This blog features stuff we say without thinking how it will sound.
A friend of mine who is a missionary spoke in church today. He has a world-famous column he writes for a legitimate audience. One time he wrote about a blunder I made as a worship leader in his column. It was all in good fun, just like this look at his words.
He is a famous author who has written many books dealing with abuse of women. He travels the world leading conferences, and held one right here at my church. To begin the summary of his year in review, he commented on how great the women's conference was. He then asked the ladies..."Show of hands...How many of you were touched this past weekend?" Ok, now maybe it's just me working only part time in ministry and full time in a place that serves alcohol, but that sounded a bit wierd. Sure I know what he meant, but it still sounded a bit odd when talking about how we minister to troubled women.
He then told the story of how he asked God to send him out to be an evangelist. It happened right there in our church many years ago in a conference. He challenged everyone to ask God to send them. He said, "turn to the person next to you and say 'don't just sit there!'" Awesome! I looked around from the production booth to see if everyone was doing this. They followed his directions well! You could see people getting into it. Pointing at each other and emphatically saying "Don't just sit there!"
Then I saw our assistant Pastor.  The only person near to him was one of the Deacons. In a wheelchair. I noticed that they awkwardly exchanged words but I couldn't hear what was said. The Deacon laughed, visibly amused. I knew it was time for me to write again.

2 comments:

  1. Certainly no one could ever accuse you of "just sitting there!" :) great to see you writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you observe David, definitely a one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete