Monday, February 4, 2013

Angel Sightings and George Costanza

My church is an Anglican church. That means we are connected somehow to the church of England. But in order to be connected there we connect through an African church. It's complicated, but all of that really isn't what this blog is about. This is about the words Anglican and Angel. You see, most people confuse the word Anglican (an-gla-can) with a made-up word....Angelican (an-gel-eh-can).
It sounds like a church made up from a bunch of angels. The angels church. Better off to be in Los Angeles if you are going to be the angel's church.
Well one thing is for sure... we are not the angel church. You probably are thinking I was going to comment that we are not all good, etc, etc, etc.  Nope.  Not at all.  I mean, sure we are probably not the greatest people, but by worldly standards we are not that bad.  I am referencing the fact that we don't look like angels.
Now, I don't want to get into a debate about whether or not angels are people or beings. The Bible is pretty clear that Angels are specifically created beings by God. They are not people who have died and get their wings to watch over us. Sorry if I ruined that for you but go look it up.  However, even that is not the reason I say we are not the angel church.
Today our Pastor told a wonderful story about a time he went to a church to be mad with God. I guess that doesn't sound like the makings of a wonderful story, but take my word for it....wonderful story.  All of a sudden an angel appeared. Not in church, but in his story. Angels have a habit of appearing all of a sudden. They never seem to approach from far away or walk on in casually. All of a sudden. The next detail struck me as interesting. I have often heard angels described with long flowing hair, but specifically this angel had blonde curly hair.
I thought to myself, how interesting in stories like this, that the hair... in detail... is always remembered. No details on the clothes, height, shoes, skin color, or foreign accent. Just the hair. And of course they always have great hair. Nobody ever describes seeing an angel with no hair,  or even the popular George Costanza haircut. Why can't angels have a buzz cut, or a mullet, or George Costanza hair?
I looked around the church. There were way too many guys that did not qualify for the "angel look" just on hair alone.
We may never be the church of angels, but we still are connected to God. Not by our relationship with angels, an African church, perfect hair, or even the church of England. We connect by our own personal relationship with God.  That's the good news.  Nobody will ever describe an angel having hair like mine.  That's the bad news.  I can live with that. 

1 comment:

  1. Wаy сool! Somе extremely valid pοints!
    Ι aρpгecіate you wrіting thiѕ article and thе rest of the site is also гeallу goοd.



    Stop by mу site ... online radio

    ReplyDelete