Saturday, March 23, 2013

Food Truck Church

The latest craze in food seems to be food trucks. Personally, I don't get it.  I have been to some of the most interesting restaurants around the world, and most places I choose, my friends won't eat with me. I love little hole-in-the-wall places that are locally owned.  Most of them wind up on the dirtiest restaurant segments of the news, but the food is good. So my friends won't venture into a place like that with me, but a food truck pulls up and everyone thinks...how great is this!!! Really? A truck? Just because it serves "gourmet" food, it must be clean.
I remember when the only food truck was Dots on the Dot, the little pick-up truck converted to cafeteria, driving from construction site to golf courses. Of course they didn't cook anything, but they delivered food from a truck. Now we take a converted UPS truck, install a kitchen and people go crazy.
It made me think of a new idea for the church. The Church Truck.
We can take our church on the road. Imagine the possibilities. What if we had church truck events where all the church trucks came to one mall parking lot on a Sunday and people got to choose which truck they went to. You could visit one truck for prayers, another for a fun, comical sermon, and another that serves freshly baked bread for communion. Advertising is everything, so imagine what the trucks would look like. You would need a catchy name, an awesome paint job, and of course great coffee.
Maybe this will be the next big thing for churches. Mobile church.
Now if you think about it for a minute, it's not such a wacky idea. We take the church into neighborhoods. Just like the ice cream trucks, we could play hymns from a speaker on top of the roof so people would know we were coming. Maybe that part is a bit over the top. Forget the hymns.
But the idea of taking the church to the neighborhoods isn't such a bad idea. What kind of truck would you drive?

2 comments:

  1. Only time I ate a food truck here in Florida, I got food poisoning.
    I don't understand the craze at all. I'm a New Yorker, and my version of food trucks was always pretty jaded. That hasn't changed since moving here (and subsequently getting food poisoning)

    In regards to faith, I love the idea of a mobile church. It's definitely in the beginning phases, but I see it being a huge hit as it evolves in time.

    Cheers on the thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever it takes, wherever one is called, whomever is placed in front of you... Church, truck, neighbor, line at the grocery store or java place, surf camp, tennis court, golf course, skate park, empty mall store place... the body, the church, in the marketplace... just like Jesus did. alpha, Go...

    ReplyDelete