Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What's in a Name?

Well, here we are.  Thirteen years working at a church are behind me. I still have many stories to tell from those years, but not yet.  It's time for some cliche reviews.  What most people want to know.....did I throw the baby out with the bath water? Well first of all now-a-days we simply pull a drain and let the water out. We don't "throw away" water anymore. And that being said, most babies won't fit down the drain so I guess it's not possible. Neither is losing your "religion" when you resign from a job at a church.
I'm not going to tell that story now, but the name of my blog has changed. I own a restaurant and have already collected so many stories to write about.
I decided the first story should be about the name. I have talked about names before, but since we are discussing the genesis of a new adventure, we can discuss the choosing of the name. I suppose it isn't really a discussion since I am writing and you are reading, but in my head it is a discussion.
Salamanders Sports Grill is the name.  My name...David Mander. "Where did the name Salamanders come from?" is the most popular question.  I tell them my last name is Mander.  About 50% can take it from there. The other half stare at me and say..."so where do you get the 'sala'?" Really?
Check out the logo. See the thing that looks like a lizard? It's a Salamander.  At this point the explanation usually goes into an Abbott and Costello routine and I try desperately to change the subject.
I will say that Salamanders was not the first choice. Selecting a name for a business is much like choosing a child's name. Everyone has to agree and you try saying it aloud in a sentence for a week or so. "Lets go to Salamanders!" Nah...too many syllables.
First ideas?  Rookie Sports Grill (rookie as in... first time owners) * Mander Sports Grill (daughters hated that one) * Game Time Grill * Sports & More Grill (more what?) * Home Team Grill * Grillers * Good Times Sports Grill ( that one was dy-no-mite!!!)
Name after stupid name failed and we kept coming back to Salamanders. It finally stuck when we thought about the design of a logo. My next post will be about the evolution of a logo, but that isn't what this post is about.
I own a restaurant. I have a hard time visiting any church after my 13 years working in one didn't end like I thought it should have. I am pretty sure I made it out safely with my faith in people and organized religion scarred, but my faith in God seems ok. I am ready to see what comes next. 

1 comment:

  1. It's the heart relationship with God, not what church you go to. You will find a comfy place to worship eventually. Until then, keep the Salamander house of wing worship open so I can keep eating wings!!

    ReplyDelete